Welcome to my day to day journal of having open heart surgery.

When I started this blog I was not sure if I would need surgery but after many tests and doctors visits I had valve replacement surgery on June 23, 2010. I was born with a congenital heart defect, a bicuspid aortic valve. My blog reads backwards (like all blogs)....not like a story in chronological order...so go all the way to the beginning (here) to read about my history and how this all got started.

Let me know you stopped by......leave me a comment :)

Monday, August 9, 2010

6 weeks post op

      Well it has been alittle over 6 weeks since my surgery and I have to say I am doing very well.  I guess I thought things would be much worse but really I am getting back to normal.  I feel good 90% of the time.  I do have moments that I am overly tired, frustrated at things that still hurt and out of breath going up steps.  I guess as time goes by, I will see small improvements.  I did drive today for the first time.  It went fine.  The seatbelt is uncomfotable but I will bring alittle small something to place between me and it tomorrow.  The heart pillow from hospital is alittle large :) 
     Tomorrow, I go to see the nurse for Cardic Rehab.  I am going to go to a hospital closer to my work since I have to continue this for 12 weeks.  I hope I like it.  They want me to go for one hour, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday for 12 weeks. 
      Next thing I have to do is an Echo.  It is scheduled for Wednesday.  They want to get a baseline for any future echos for comparison.  I just hope he is soft with me and does not jab that wand to hard.  Echos are not an easy test.  I am also concerned about the flipping from side to side.  I just recently laid on my right side for about an hour.  NOT a comfortable position....but I am trying to work on it.  Left side is not so bad....I am actually back to sleeping on that side.
     I also am going to start back to work earlier than I originally thought I would.  I decided to go back next week part time for 4 1/2 hours ...but just 3 days, Monday, Wed and Friday.  Kinda ease back into the swing of it all.  I miss work and I am looking forward to going back.  I just hope things are like they were when I left.  Alot can change in 2 months. 
      Incision and drain holes are getting better and better.  Spent some time in the sun and found a medium size bandage the perfect thing to shield the top part of my scar from the sun.  They say not to expose it to sunlight for full year.  So now I have a silly tan line on chest.....but it's ok.  My drain holes have completly closed !  Never thought it would happen....they both are still a deep dark red but they are dry and closed...wooohooo.
       SO there is my 6 week update.  All in all I am doing fine  :)

1 comment:

David Beckham said...

I am very happy to see your blog, very good article for audience,

Each year, cardiac complications and diseased occur within 30 days after major non cardiac surgery in more than 10 million people worldwide.

Today, however, the tether is fraying. How can we use technology to bring Cardiologist database in USA closer to patients rather than making them more remote?

Small tips to avoid heart attack

• Take responsibility for your health. ...
• Know your risks. ...
• Don't smoke or expose yourself to second-hand smoke. ...
• Maintain a healthy blood pressure. ...
• Monitor your cholesterol (blood lipids). ...
• Limit your calories. ...
• Make exercise a daily habit. ...
• Pick your pills wisely.