Welcome to my day to day journal of having open heart surgery.

When I started this blog I was not sure if I would need surgery but after many tests and doctors visits I had valve replacement surgery on June 23, 2010. I was born with a congenital heart defect, a bicuspid aortic valve. My blog reads backwards (like all blogs)....not like a story in chronological order...so go all the way to the beginning (here) to read about my history and how this all got started.

Let me know you stopped by......leave me a comment :)

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

9 weeks post op

I am doing very well.  I did have a small bout of high blood pressure....went to 160/106.  It was discovered at my first day of Cardiac Rehab.  I also had gone to the beach for a week with my family and came home with a 10 pound gain of fluid.  So the nurse at Rehab wanted me to see my cardiologist soon. So when  I went in for my scheduled echo, I also saw my cardiologist's nurse.  She thought the pressure was too high and they saw some fluid behind my heart during the echo.  So, she sent me over for a CT at 2:30 the same day.  To make a long story short...the fluid was not too bad to make anyone worry and she put me on a BP med.  I started feeling better quickly.  I also had this strange pressure issue under my rib cage...but this all must have been connected with the fluid and the high BP.  My BP is now back to 120/80's (I usually was 120/70)....and feeling just fine now.

I am going to Rehab 3 times a week....every Mon, Wed and Fri.  I am not really the type that loves exercise but I am doing it.

My heart seems to be working great.  I do sometimes have some hard beats (maybe a PVC) when I lie down.  I do still have trouble going up alot of steps...but it is getting better.  I feel I am much better now than I was before surgery.  My incision area is doing ok.  Still pretty red and ugly but I am just wearing my tops and trying not to think about where and how much the scar is sticking out.  I started using Vitamin E but I see no change...I actually think it making it more sensitive to touch.....the last thing I want cause I still cannot even stand to wear my pre-surgery bras.  I am going to go get some Merderma and try that next.

My very bizarre news is that I was laid off of work.  I was actually going back a week early to help them out but I was let go.  I think I am still in shock over it.  After talking to a few coworkers, it seemed ALOT had changed in the 2 months I was gone, a coworker was fired  and maybe after hearing some of it, I may have been saved from alot of drama and stress.  So now I am looking around for something new.  It is a really bad economy out there......bad things happening to nice people  :(

To put a positive spin on this, I am enjoying the fact that I am home with the kids a few weeks before they return to school.  I am able to get my twins to their football practices (freshmen ball).  And I will actually get to see them play....their games are at 5:30 on Wednesdays.  I am able to recover at a slower rate and not push myself to hard.  Rehab can be exhausting and I am now kinda glad I am not trying to do that after working 8 hours....honestly not sure I could have the first week.  My oldest finally got his learners permit and I have had time to drive with him around the local High school parking lot. 

So there is my little update....all in all I am doing just fine.

1 comment:

David Beckham said...

I am very happy to see your blog, very good article for audience,

Each year, cardiac complications and diseased occur within 30 days after major non cardiac surgery in more than 10 million people worldwide.

Today, however, the tether is fraying. How can we use technology to bring Cardiologist database in USA closer to patients rather than making them more remote?

Small tips to avoid heart attack

• Take responsibility for your health. ...
• Know your risks. ...
• Don't smoke or expose yourself to second-hand smoke. ...
• Maintain a healthy blood pressure. ...
• Monitor your cholesterol (blood lipids). ...
• Limit your calories. ...
• Make exercise a daily habit. ...
• Pick your pills wisely.